Friday, October 14, 2011

Gourds Galore


A small gourd harvested from the garden, more photos to come soon of some of the other gourds.

Today Sprout, together with the help of the Conn College groundskeeping crew, harvested 57 gourds from the garden. Gourds, also known as calabash, have traditionally been used as water jugs, water dippers and bowls. They are now also used for decoration and to make bird houses. Gourds can be carved or painted to create artwork. The Annual Gourd Festival celebrates the many beautiful works of art that have been made with gourds. Looking at the gourds harvested from the garden, I can't help but feel impressed by their smooth, unique rounded shapes and by the different patterns and shades of green that they have on their skin. Many of the gourds are also rather large! Over the next few months, the gourds will dry and become hollow, and can then be used for bowls, containers and/or bird houses. The gourds are natural works of art that can be cherished for years. They will be for sale at harvestfest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to pronounce that it is immense to understand that somebody mentioned this as I had troubles finding the same informations elsewhere. Your site was the opening place that provided me the writings . Thank you.

As a final note , allow me thank you for your patience with my English as (I'm positive you have figured this by now,), English is not my chief language thus I am utilizing Google Translate to shape out what to write down what I really plan to voice.